Tuesday, March 2, 2010

LOISE ZHANG in ArtXpress !!!


My body of work explores the concept of ‘nonsense’ and why we consider undefined objects as ‘nonsense’. My artwork consists of drawings that look like and/or remind one of something with ‘sense’ but cannot be defined as anything in particular. During my art-making process, I was often asked the question, “what is it?” or “what is it meant to be?”. In this artwork I am asking the audience, does something need to have a meaning or be a particular way in order for it to be classified as ‘sensible’?
I have chosen to present my drawings in a ‘puzzle’ format to encourage the audience to become involved and appreciate ‘nonsense’ without trying to make sense of it. The ‘puzzle’ format also suggested a never ending maze of ‘nonsense’ – the more you try to make sense, the more nonsense you receive.


yay i have been looking for this for ages, this photograph of her work does not do it justice
she had amazingly intricate pen drawings which I absolutely adoreddd

No comments:

Post a Comment